Dedicated Family Lawyers
Brisbane 07 3210 0281 | Toowoomba 07 4639 0000 | Ipswich 07 3812 1392 | North Lakes 07 3490 1390

Divorce Solicitor Brisbane, Toowoomba, Ipswich & North Lakes

Divorce Lawyers Brisbane, Toowoomba, Ipswich & North Lakes

A divorce is the legal dissolution (or termination) of your marriage. In Australia the law operates on the principle of no-fault divorce. This means that the Court does not take into consideration why the marriage ended.

You can apply for a divorce in Australia if either you or your former partner:

  • are an Australian citizen by birth, descent or grant of Australian citizenship; or
  • regard Australia as your home and intend to live in Australia indefinitely; or
  • ordinarily live in Australia and have done so for 12 months immediately before filing for divorce.

You will also need to satisfy the Court that the marriage has broken down irretrievably and that you and your former partner have been separated for at least twelve months. It is possible for you and your former partner to be separated, but continuing to live in the same home during the twelve months of separation. This is called ‘separation under the one roof’. If this situation applies to you and your former spouse, the Court will need to be satisfied that, despite living together under the same roof, the parties were separated during this time.

If you and your former partner have children under the age of 18 the Court will only grant a divorce if it can be satisfied that there are proper arrangements in place between the parties for the care of the children, such a Parenting Plan.

If you are a same-sex couple and have been legally married in another country, you cannot apply for a divorce in Australia as your marriage is not legally recognised. It will be necessary for you to commence divorce proceedings where you were married.

If you were married overseas and you have a marriage certificate in another language, you will need to obtain a certified translation of your marriage certificate.

If you have been married for less than 2 years, you must undertake counselling and obtain a certificate from a relationship counsellor that states that you have considered trying to reconcile.

An application for divorce can be made jointly or separately and you can do it yourself or you can file for divorce with a Brisbane Divorce Lawyer.

Contact our Divorce Lawyer Brisbane for Consultation

Family Lawyers Brisbane at Best Wilson Buckley Family Law is a top-rated divorce law firm that offer a convenient fixed fee service to help you with your application for divorce. Contact one of our Divorce Lawyers Brisbane, Toowoomba, Ipswich or North Lakes to find out more, or see our Fixed Fee Application for Divorce.

Expertise you can count on

Divorce Lawyers in Brisbane


Need Family Law Help?

We are passionate about providing a specialty Family Law service that welcomes you, understands you and shows you empathy in difficult times.
Find out why you can be assured of our commitment to your legal needs.

Brisbane Divorce Lawyer

Divorce Lawyers Toowoomba

Contact Us

Please feel free to contact us any time using the below form to send us a message, fill the required fields and then click send.

Connect with us

  • (07) 4639 0000 (Toowoomba)
    (07) 3210 0281 (Brisbane)
    (07) 3812 1392 (Ipswich)
    (07) 3490 1390 (North Lakes)
  •  [email protected] 
  • Get Started Online
  • 135 Margaret St, Toowoomba City QLD 4350
    PO Box 3701, TOOWOOMBA QLD 4350 
  • 5/190 Edward St, Brisbane City QLD 4000
    PO Box 1735, BRISBANE CITY QLD 4000 
  • 205 Brisbane St, Ipswich QLD 4305
    PO Box 840, IPSWICH QLD 4305
  • 107/1642 Anzac Avenue, North Lakes QLD 4509
    PO Box 1207, NORTH LAKES QLD 4509