Legal Practice Director | Accredited Family Law Specialist
Kara Best is the Legal Practice Director of Best Wilson Buckley Family Law and an Accredited Family Law Specialist.
Kara has practised exclusively in family law following her admission in 2001. Kara was born and bred in Toowoomba and returned to the area in 2007. She is a former Senior Legal Associate to the Chief Justice of the Family Court in Melbourne, an appointment which followed a period in private practice in Brisbane and an earlier period in which she was Associate to the Honourable Justice Michelle May of the Family Court and the broader Trial Division of the Brisbane Registry of the Family Court. Kara is intimately aware of how the law works in operation, and how best to achieve the most optimal outcome from the family law system.
Kara has a history of consistently achieving positive outcomes for her clients at trial, but more regularly by agreement without litigation. Clients routinely benefit from her extensive knowledge of family law, her strong working relationships with fellow practitioners, her direct but warm manner, and her intimate knowledge of the Court. Kara’s intention is to achieve the most optimal outcome for every client, be it from a legal, financial, or emotional perspective. She is passionate about the resolution of conflict at the earliest opportunity on the most mutually beneficial terms, and embraces collaborative practice.
Expertise and Professional Qualifications
Kara is a Queensland Law Society Accredited Family Law Specialist, Nationally Accredited Mediator and Arbitrator, and has acted in a wide range of family law matters including complex property proceedings involving third parties, international interests, and significant farming and commercial endeavours.
Kara is also experienced in resolving complex parenting matters and is a member of the panel of Independent Children’s Lawyers in Queensland. In this role, Kara is routinely appointed to represent the interests of children in parenting proceedings in the Family Court and Federal Circuit Court.
Associations and Career Awards
- Chair, Queensland Law Society Family Law Accreditation Committee
- Independent Children’s Lawyer
- Nationally Accredited Mediator and Arbitrator, Australian Institute of Family Law Arbitrators and Mediators (AIFLAM)
- Downs and South West Queensland Law Association
- Queensland Family Law Practitioners Association
- Women Lawyers Association of Queensland
- Law Council of Australia
- Doyle’s Guide Leading Family and Divorce Lawyer (Toowoomba, Darling Downs and Western Queensland) – 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019
- Doyle’s Guide Leading Parenting and Children’s Matters Lawyer (Regional Queensland) – 2019
- Doyle’s Guide Leading Family Lawyer – High-Value and Complex Property Matters (Regional Queensland) – 2019
- Doyle’s Guide Leading Family and Divorce Lawyer (Queensland) – 2014 and 2015
- Finalist, Lawyers Weekly Partner of the Year Awards (Family Law) – 2016
The world has turned on its axle, Brad and Angie have broken up. Amongst the daily plethora of stories about Brangelina has come the following in the Huffington Post –...
Your Checklist When relationships breakdown our clients are often seeking the assistance of a family law solicitor for the first time (other than a conveyance or perhaps a will). For...
Best Wilson Buckley Family Law has been recognised as the leading family law firm in the Toowoomba and Darling Downs region, listed as the only First Tier Family Law Firm...