Payment Terms & Conditions
Our Fees – Payment Gateway Terms & Conditions
Family law legal costs are not something we plan for in life. Our payment Terms & Conditions.
It is true that each family law matter is as unique as the family it involves. That makes it difficult to provide a ‘one size fits all’ approach to fees in family law. There are also many reasons, including legislation, that mean family lawyers cannot provide ‘no win, no fee’ arrangements in family law. To find out more about why, read this article.
We know that legal fees can be confusing and can get expensive. We will work with you to control the costs that you incur, ensure that you are understand how our costs work and that you are aware of your costs through monthly invoicing and estimates of costs along the way. It does not cost you anything to discuss your costs with us.
- All Accounts are due and payable within fourteen (14) days of the invoice date, unless express written confirmation of alternate arrangements is made in advance.
- In the event you do not pay your accounts the firm will exercise a Solicitor’s lien. This lien allows us to retain all your documents and funds in trust until the accounts are paid in full.
- Interest on outstanding accounts will be accrued at 7% per annum for accounts that remain unpaid for thirty (30) days after becoming due for payment. This amount may change from time to time, as prescribed by regulations under the Practice Direction pursuant to section 59(3) of the Civil Proceedings Act 2011 which is the rate that is equal to the Cash Rate Target plus six (6) percentage points as at the date of the account (rba.gov.au).
- The following avenues are available to you if you have any queries about your invoice:
- Requesting an itemised bill;
- Discussing your concerns with us;
- Having our costs assessed; or
- Applying to set aside our Costs Agreement.
- You have twelve (12) months to apply for a costs assessment after we provide you with our legal costs.
For more information
For more information on your rights, please read the fact sheet titled Your Right to Challenge Legal Costs. You can ask for a copy, or obtain it from the Queensland Law Society on 07 3842 5842 or via their website: www.qls.com.au